Mom’s Flan Cake
1 c sugar
1/4 c water
1-2 drops of lemon juice
1 yellow cake mix (and ingredients from the box)
1 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
4 large whole eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp brandy extract (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. Add the sugar, water, and lemon juice in a saucepan over low-medium heat. Stir until you have a wet sand texture, then continue cooking the sugar until you have a clear and amber colored syrup. Do not stir while cooking. Remove from heat.
3. Spray the pan with non-stick cooking spray then pour the sugar into a bundt pant turning it until the pan is coated on the inside.
4. Prepare the cake mix according to package directions and pour the batter over sugar.
5. In a separate bowl, mix 1 can condensed milk, 1 can evaporated milk, 4 eggs, 1 tsp each of vanilla, brandy, and almond extract. Pour over batter. The batter will float to the top… that’s okay!
6. Place the bundt pan in a larger pan ( I use a round cake pan) with 1/2″ of water and cook at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes.
7. Cover with foil and continue to cook for 20-30 minutes more or until done (check with a toothpick). Place cake on cooling rack. Remove the foil and cool 15 minutes then invert onto serving plate. Cool 1 hour at room temp. Chill 4 hours overnight.